In mathematics, tantamount fractions are merely fractions with various numerators and denominators yet represent the same proportion that a whole. Tantamount fractions seem come be different at a look, however they have similar or equal value.
You are watching: Fraction equivalent to 1/4
For example, the indistinguishable fractions for 1/4 are:
2/8, 3/12, 4/16, etc.
The tantamount fractions have an same amount or value after simplification of both your numerator and also denominators. The fractions will certainly generate the same value if cancellation by a usual factor is make on both the numerator and denominator.
What are indistinguishable Fractions?
Equivalent fractions room two or more fractions that an outcome in the same value after ~ simplification. Expect a/b and c/d are two fractions, then the fractions are equivalent only if the simplification of each fraction results in e/f.
In various other words,
a/b = c/d = e/f.
For example, a fraction 1/3 has actually an identical of 5/15 because of simplification of 5/15 outcomes in the very same value as 1/3.
Now the question arises because that why this fractions space equal in spite of having various numbers. The answer to this query is that the fractions contain numerators and also denominators that are not co-prime numbers. As such they have a usual multiple which on division produces the same value.
Let’s take it an example:
1/2 = 2/4 = 4/8
You can notice that however the over two factions have different integers, yet after separating both the numerator and also denominator by a usual factor, the result is:
(4 ÷ 4)/(8 ÷ 4)
In this case, if we leveling 2/4, the result 1/2 again.
(2 ÷ 2)/(4 ÷ 2)
It has been presented that either dividing the denominator or multiply the numerator v the same variable does not change the worth of the fraction. And also therefore, equivalent fractions have an equal value once simplified.
How execute you find equivalent fractions?
Consider a situation with the portion 1/5.
Multiplying both the numerator and also denominator with 2, 3 and 4 gives:
1/5 x 2/2 = 2/10
1/5 x 3/3 = 3/15
1/5 x 4/4 = 4/20
Therefore, it have the right to be concluded that:
1/5 = 2/10 = 3/15 = 4/20
The equivalent portion can just be produced by multiplication or department by a common factor. Carrying out addition or individually on the portion only alters the worth of a fraction.
Given the the fountain 5/16 and x/12 are indistinguishable calculate the value of x.
5/16 = x/12
x = (5 x 12)/16
x = 60/16
And thus, the value of x is 15/4.
Find the value of x if the fractions 3/5 and 4/x room equivalent.
3/5 = 4/x
x = (4 x 5)/3
x = 20/3
1. Write up to 5 indistinguishable fractions for each that the following:
2. Find the indistinguishable fractions having actually a denominator of 12 because that each the the complying with fractions.
See more: Jack Russell Terrier Lifespan: How Long Do Jack Russell Live ?
3. Adjust the complying with fractions into indistinguishable fractions having actually a worth of 24 together their denominator:(i) 6/12
4. Determine the bag of fountain that are equivalent and also which space not:(i) 2/3 and also 8/12
(ii) 3/7 and 12/28
(iii) 5/8 and also 15/27
(iv) 36/44 and also 9/11
(v) 4/5 and 5/4
(vi) 5/8 and 27/18
5. Ns think of one equivalent fraction to 10/15 v 2 as the numerator. What portion with a numerator of 2 to be I reasoning of?
6. Erick notices that either 3/5 or 3/4 is equal to the fraction 12/20. Which fraction is equal to 12/20?
7. James is giving his brother 2/5 of her nut collection. Calculate how many of 1/5 s of his nut collection is he providing his brother?
8. Peter gave 1/4 and also 3/12 the orange to Donald and also Pedro, respectively. Determine if he offered out one equivalent fraction of an orange.
9. John carried out a inspection in his class and discovered the 56/96 the the student sampled the end participated in sporting activities after school. Express the portion in its easiest form?
10. 7 is a element number in a portion 7/x. What number can replace x in this fraction so that it is not in most basic form?