Titanium is one of the a lot of resilient metals jewelry can be made of. Here are some tips to aid you clean your titanium rings or other jewelry pieces and take excellent care of them.
You are watching: How to clean a titanium ring
Although titanium is extremely long lasting, it is not completely scratch resistant.
You can clean your titanium jewelry in three simple steps:
1. Fill a bowl with lukeheat water, and also add some mild dishwashing liquid.
2. Soak your titanium ring or various other jewelry in the solution for around 5 minutes, and then gently rub the dirt off the pieces with a soft fabric.
3. After your jewelry is clean, rinse it through water and also dry it with a clean towel (leaving titanium pieces to air dry might reason them to spot).
Titanium can also be cleaned utilizing ammonia (you have the right to usage Windex, which includes ammonia) or jewelry cleaning options offered at the keep.
(Text continues below ad.)
You can additionally clean your titanium jewelry in an ultrasonic cleaner. However, save in mind that it is not recommended for your steel pieces to be in contact via the tough surface of the ultrasonic tool throughout the cleaning.
One solution is to hang your titanium rings and also various other items on a rubber-extended cup hook screwed right into a wine cork; then, float the suspfinished jewelry in the cleaning liquid so that the piece doesn’t touch the bottom of the container.
Warning: If your rings or various other jewelry pieces are made of colored (anodized) titanium, you should just usage soap, water and also ammonia (or Windex) on them; harsher cleaning solutions can disshade anodized titanium.
Cleaning Colored Titanium
When cleaning titanium jewelry that has actually been anodized to change its shade, you should be specifically careful: Rubbing anodized titanium hard or scrubbing it may damages the piece’s colored layer.
To clean colored titanium rings or various other jewelry, follow these steps:
1. First, soak the jewelry in a solution of heat water and mild soap for numerous minutes to remove dirt. However, perform not scrub the pieces or you may damage their colored layer. Rinse the jewelry through water.
2. Next, soak the items for a couple of minutes in ammonia or Windex. Clean them by patting gently through a clean towel while applying incredibly light push, as if you were cleaning your glasses. Do not scrub the jewelry as tough rubbing might damage its oxide layer, which provides the piece its color.
3. Rinse the jewelry with water, and pat the items dry via a clean, soft towel. You deserve to additionally usage a can of compressed air to blow your pieces dry. Do not leave titanium to air dry if you don’t want your jewelry to look spotted after that.
If you notice any kind of discoloration in your anodized titanium jewelry, you have the right to have actually it anodized again: Jewelers who work-related with titanium regularly sell such a organization for a fee.
Cleaning Titanium Rings through Gemstones
You need to be careful when cleaning titanium jewelry containing gemstones: Many gems deserve to be damaged by ultrasonic cleaners or some jewelry cleaning solutions, so these choices are not recommended unless you are certain that they are safe for your stones.
Choose a cleaning technique that is correct for the particular gemstones you have and will certainly not damages them. Diamonds are quite resilient, but softer gems have to be tackled with care. For example, pearls and opals are particularly vulnerable.
If you are not sure exactly how your stones need to be cleaned, err on the side of caution: Do not soak your gemrock jewelry in water, and also just usage a soft, damp towel to wipe dirt off your stones.
Wearing Titanium Jewelry
As you wear your titanium jewelry, it will inevitably scrape over time. Although this steel is very sturdy and also tough to damage, it is not completely scrape resistant.
This is why you should remove your titanium rings and also other jewelry as soon as engaging in tasks that have the right to disclose your items to the threat of bumps, hits and damage.
If your titanium ring has other steels such as gold or platinum, protect against wearing it when you are in the shower or in the swimming pool. The chlorine found in the water have the right to damage the various other metals in your titanium jewelry.
Polishing Titanium Rings and also Other Jewelry
If your titanium jewelry is not exceptionally dirty, you have the right to just polish it using a sprucing up fabric, which you can buy at any type of jewelry keep.
Click right here to check out a selection of the many popular jewelry cleaning and sprucing up products.
To remove little scratches from your titanium rings or various other jewelry, you deserve to polish your pieces utilizing cream steel polish: Rub the cream onto the piece utilizing a soft cloth, and also then rinse the polish through water and also mild soap.
Additionally, you have the right to take your titanium pieces to a jewelry store and have them polished by a experienced.
See more: Cubic Feet To Gallons Convert Square Feet To Gallons Of Water Per Square Feet
Credit: Special thanks to Bill Seeley, President of Reactive Metals Studio, who offered skilled advice for this post.