The adhering to chart helps united state to type out the three personal pronoun cases: (1) If a pronoun is a subject or property nominative, that is nominative case. (2) A pronoun supplied as a direct object, indirect object, or object of a preposition is target case. (3) If a pronoun mirrors possession, it is possessive case.
You are watching: Nominative, objective and possessive pronouns
Identify pronoun cases. Phone call whether each italicized pronoun is nominative, objective, or own case.Mia, Rene, and also she giggled.Arturo trust her.Yours is top top the table.Mariya tickled her.Larry, Gary, and he developed the doghouse.Mary put him in the doghouse.His is the greatest dog dish.Gouverneur Morris and he stood for the advertising Federalists.Congress gave him authority end the disordered finances of the new nation.His was the biggest contribution.
We name pronoun cases:nominative caseobjective casepossessive caseobjective casenominative caseobjective casepossessive casenominative caseobjective casepossessive case
The pronoun instance depends on how the pronoun is supplied in the sentence. We refer to the chart to decision which pronoun is correct for this sentence:
(We, Us) drummers will set the tempo.
The pronoun we identifies "drummers," i beg your pardon is the topic of the sentence. We usage the nominative instance pronoun us (NOT us) as a subject. Therefore, us write:
We drummers will collection the tempo.
To identify pronoun cases, tell just how the pronoun is provided in every sentence (subject, straight object, indirect object, thing of a preposition, or possession).Ms. Hoo thanked him for the gift.That auto is hers.We promised to help.Shawn gave her a broom.Mia and Minh laughed v them.We served Kristina another helping.Boomer likes him for building a doghouse.They found themselves "in the doghouse" since they were late come dinner.Boomer growled in ~ them for trying to crawl into his house.He gave her a lick for filling his dish v meat.They agreed v Robert Morris"s pointer for paying battle debts.Morris had suggested with lock over debt payment.
SolutionsHim is a direct object.Hers shows possession.We is the subject.Her is an indirect object.Them is an object that a preposition.We is the subject.Him is a direct object.They is the subject.Them is one object that a preposition.Her is one indirect object.They is the subject. Them is the object of the preposition "with."
Determine exactly how the pronoun is provided in every sentence. Then refer to the pronoun situations chart over to help you choose the correct pronoun. Rewrite each sentence correctly.The class elected Yiwen and (he, him).Both Henry and (she, her) have arrived.The invitation was sent to Donald and also (she, her).Mr. Mango won stuffed animals for miss Grape and also (she, her).The same bored miss Prune and also (he, him).Both john Dickinson and also (he, him) opposed the explanation of Independence, yet Robert Morris signed it.Robert Morris noted funds for Washington"s army and (they, them).The battle profited Charles Willing and also (he, him).
1. The pronoun is a direct object, therefore we choose the objective situation pronoun him.The class elected Yiwen and also him.
2. The pronoun is the subject of the sentence, therefore we choose the nominative case pronoun she.Both Henry and she have actually arrived.
3. The pronoun is one object of the preposition to, therefore we pick the objective instance pronoun her.The invite was sent to Donald and also her.
4. The pronoun is the object of the preposition "for," so we pick the objective situation pronoun her.Mr. Mango winner stuffed animals for miss out on Grape and her.
5. The pronoun is a direct object, so we select the objective case pronoun him.The same bored miss out on Prune and also him.
6. The pronoun is a sentence subject, therefore we select the nominative situation pronoun he.Both man Dickinson and also he protest the explanation of Independence, yet Robert Morris signed it.
7. The pronoun is the object that the preposition "for," therefore we pick the objective situation pronoun them.Robert Morris listed funds because that Washington"s army and them.
See more: What Type Of Energy Is Stored In Gasoline ? What Kind Of Energy Is Gasoline
8. The pronoun is a direct object, so we pick the objective case pronoun him.