From darkness to daydreams, and also deserts to desserts, the letter D likes to dance its way across the English language. Through a tiny dollop here and a tiny dash there, you have the right to craft truly unique prose. Pull the end a pad and pen, since these noun that start with D space sure to tree themselves in her memory bank and sprout in your next piece that writing.
You are watching: Nouns that start with the letter d
What Is a Noun?
A noun is a person, place, thing, or idea. Typically, they"re add by articles, choose "a," "an," and also "the." nouns love to serve as the subject of a sentence. Because that example, "The dancer flew gracefully with the air."
Nouns can additionally act together the thing of a sentence. That method they"ll come ~ the verb. Because that example, "Did you lug the dessert?" noun also function as names, consisting of people, cities, and more.
50 Nouns beginning With D
The letter D isn’t terribly uncommon. Do you have a exciting dad? Or how around a daring dream? view if girlfriend can include any of this nouns to your list of favorite vocabulary words.
1. Dad - a term supplied for her father
2. Daffodil - a bulbous plant of the lily family members with a yellow flower
3. Damage - injury or damage to a human being or thing that decreased health, value, or usefulness
4. Dancer - a person who move rhythmically come music
5. Peril - a opportunity that something harmful or unpleasant will happen
6. Darkness - the state of gift without light
7. Day - a details day the the month
8. Daughter - a female son that a mother offers birth to or adopts
9. Dawn - the an initial light that a brand-new day
10. Daydream - a fantasy or series of pleasant thoughts you have actually when awake
11. Debt - the condition of fan money
12. Te - a period of ten years
13. Decency - actions that space moral, modest, or socially acceptable
14. Decorate - an object used to make a room or thing more beautiful
15. Deer - a wild, hoofed pet with lengthy legs
16. Shipment - a providing or happen of something come someone
17. Democracy - a form of federal government where common civilization can dominance through elected representatives
18. Denial - refusing to accept or think something
19. Depth - the street from peak down or front come back
20. Desert - a dry, hot, sandy, typically barren and also uninhabited area
21. Architecture - a plan or miscellaneous created, regularly in arts or fashion
22. Dessert - miscellaneous sweet you eat after ~ a meal
23. Detour - a route that is various from the ordinary
24. Device - a device or method used to perform a task
25. Dialogue - conversation, or an exchange the ideas
26. Diamond - a colorless, very hard, crystalline mineral make of pure carbon
27. Dictator - a ruler with complete power
28. Challenge - something that hinders friend or causes you to face challenges
29. Dilemma - a situation where there is no clear and easy choice or answer
30. Dinner - the biggest meal that the day, often consumed in the evening
31. Direction - the path that must be required to reach a certain place
32. Disguise - a costume the hides her identity
33. Diver - a human being who explores underwater
34. Department - a separation or difference of opinion
35. Dollop - a bump or section of semisolid matter
36. Dolphin - a smart, sociable, familiar mammal through a fin on its back
37. Doubt - an uncertain opinion or lack of confidence
38. Dozen - a collection of twelve
39. Dream - one image, thought, or fantasy that happens in the mind while a human being is sleeping
40. Drink - a liquid made for swallowing
41. Driver - the operator the a engine vehicle
42. Drum - a round, metal, or hole instrument that is play by hitting with sticks or hands
43. Duck - a swimming bird through a flat bill, quick legs, and webbed feet
44. Dune - a hill or ridge that wind-blown sand
45. Duo - two people or two points in close association
46. Dusk - the time of day when it is defined as just starting to gain dark
47. Duty - miscellaneous that’s compelled by one’s religion, job, position, or the laws
48. Dwarf - a human being or thing that is lot smaller than typical
49. Dweller - an inhabitant of a details place
50. Empire - a sequence of an effective leaders from the same family
Types of Nouns
Did you know there space over 10 different varieties of nouns? If you spot a noun it is referring come a human being or place, that most likely acting together a ideal noun (e.g., Michael, Dayton, Texas, Norway, and also St. Patrick’s Cathedral). An instance of that would be, "Dayton has actually the finest cowboys."
The opposite of a suitable noun is a usual noun. This nouns describe general, unspecified things. In the example above, Dayton is a appropriate noun. But, if the line merely read, "This city has the best cowboys," you"d understand the topic was a common noun. Usual nouns are neither capitalized nor specific.
Then, there space compound nouns (e.g., sunrise and applesauce), countable nouns, own nouns, and also pronouns. It"s quite common to see both nouns and pronouns in a solitary sentence: "Violet purchase a aircraft ticket to visit him."
10 example Sentences through D
With that refresher in mind, let’s watch the letter D tough at work. See if you can spot the D-nouns that offer as topics as protest to those that serve as the object of the sentence.
See more: Which Of These Is Not A Characteristic Common To All Primates?
Click top top the attach in each sentence come see much more example sentences containing that D-noun:
D-words collection themselves up nicely for some alliteration. The a solid consonant that can serve as a great addition to your next piece the writing. While her dabbling in nouns that begin with D, don’t neglect a nice, solid adjective beginning with D either!
Go beyond nouns by trying out other words that begin with the 4th letter of the alphabet. Visit WordFinder by lifwynnfoundation.org for considerable collection of words that start with D. You can also create and save a customized indigenous list. Simply use the easy-to-navigate on-screen search field to pull together a collection of D words v a specific variety of letters and ones that start, finish with or include certain letters. You"ll have a stronger vocabulary in no time at all.