Paula’s standard Southern Homestyle Chicken Pot Pie cooking recipes is the ultimate comfort food and also is budget-friendly, perfect because that leftover chicken. Do the crust and then the filling utilizing cooked chicken, green beans, corn kernels, carrots, onion and celery. Bag perfectly through a salad.
You are watching: Paula deen homemade chicken pot pie
This delicious recipe and also 149 others deserve to be uncovered in Paula’s book, At the southern Table through Paula Deen. Get your copy here.Prep time: 45 minutesCook time: 55 minutesServings: 6 come 8
Crust1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour 1/2 tespoon salt 1/4 teaspoon baking flour 1/4 cup all-vegetable shortening 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
Filling2 tablespoons butter 1 cup diced, peeled baking potato 1 cup (1-inch pieces) fresh green beans 1/4 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels 1/2 cup chopped carrot 1/2 cup chopped onion 1/2 cup chopped celery 1 1/4 cup chicken broth 1 cup half-and-half 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley 1 1/2 teaspoons, divided, salt 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme 3 cups chopped cook chicken 1 egg win
1. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder. Cube shortening. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter and also shortening until mixture is crumbly. Stir in ice water 1 tablespoon in ~ a time v a fork simply until dried ingredients space moistened.
2. Rotate out dough onto a easy floured surface, and shape into a disk. Plunder in plastic wrap, and also refrigerate because that 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 10-inch deep-dish pie bowl with cooking spray.
1. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add potatoes, beans, corn, carrot, onion, and also celery; cook, stirring occasionally, till vegetables start to soften, about 7 minutes.
2. In a tiny bowl, stir with each other broth and half-and-half; whisk in flour until mixture is smooth. Stir half-and-half mixture, parsley, 1¼ teaspoons salt, pepper, and thyme into vegetables, and bring come a cook over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until sauce is thickened, 3 come 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in chicken. Pour mixture right into prepared pan.
3. On a easy floured surface, roll dough come a 12-inch circle; location on optimal of chicken mixture. Wrinkles edges that dough under, and also crimp together desired. Cut 6 slits in top of dough to relax steam. Brush win egg ~ above dough, and also sprinkle with remaining ¼ tespoon salt. Ar pot pie top top a rimmed baking sheet.
See more: What Is The Difference Between A Hostel And A Hotel And A Hostel?
4. Bake till crust is golden brown and filling is hot and also bubbly, around 40 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.