In honor of the NCAA basketball tournament---and in disdain because that all organization jargon, buzzwords, clichés, euphemisms and also grammatical catastrophes---lifwynnfoundation.org recently organized its second-annual slang Madness competition. The tourney-style clip featured 32 of corporate America’s most insufferable expressions, and readers voted because that the worst that the bunch.
You are watching: What does come to jesus meeting mean
This year winner: Come to Jesus Moment---as in, “If Joe doesn’t enhance his productivity, he and I are going to have actually a Come to Jesus Moment.”
CTJM edged the end onboarding---ridiculous jargon for "training brand-new recruits"---in the championship bout. Frankly, just how onboarding managed to win punch a puppy---which means “to carry out something because that which you will be detested"---is one of life’s great mysteries.
Click below to check out the 2013 slang Madness bracket.
Boiling an s of slang under to 32 contenders---not including “boil the ocean,” slang because that tackling too much work at once---was no easy task. We took suggestions and also scoured the Web; our very own pet peeves may have actually crept in, too. Acronyms to be excluded, mainly due to the fact that there are too damn many.
Religious overtones aside, probably the factor Come to Jesus Moment is such an annoying expression is our collective insistence on having actually these dramatic confrontations in the first place.
CTJMs, we understand, space all around focus, clarity, intention and also gravity---in other words, the an extremely stuff that, if repetitively mustered, would wipe CTJMs from the schedule.
In trusted list fashion, below then are 5 ways you have the right to avoid Come to Jesus Moments---and by “you” I average everyone from seasoned entrepreneurs to the newly onboarded.
1. Establish milestones. purposes are abstractions without a plan, and also plans are comprised of smaller, snowballing achievements. Define, track, and also yes, storage them.
2. Embrace conflict. This doesn’t median pick fights; it means don’t run from meaningful disagreements along the way. Remainder assured that if everyone had the same ideas, they i will not ~ be any type of good; likewise, if everyone had the same personality, we’d every be boring to sobs.
3. Define priorities. say you simply read 50 advice for enhancing your golf swing. Try all 50 at once and you’d be so in knots that you"d miss the round altogether. Far better to pick 3 or four really necessary tips, groove them, and improve native there. The very same goes for running a business. (Tip because that managers: Be consistent. If the "priorities" room constantly changing, the rank and paper will tune you out.)
4. Avoid surprises. A little of unexpected an excellent news now and then is fine. Otherwise, anticipate every outcomes, calculation their probabilities, and plainly communicate those odds. (This goes because that leaders and also minions alike.) too many bad surprises develop uncertainty and, eventually, a feeling of dread, favor February in Chicago.
5. Finish The Job. girlfriend know as soon as you’re done.
My beforehand pick because that this year’s slang Madness winner to be thought leadership, a stomach-souring stalwart. Reader Paula Cohen recorded it best by share this emotional comment during last year’s competition:
If ns hear the phrase ‘thought leader’ one an ext time, ns going to slug the human being who states it.
I was attending a huge telephone conference a pair of year ago, as soon as I was working for among the world’s largest outplacement firms. The regional manager, on the phone from another state, inquiry why ours downsized client appreciated us. Fool that ns am, i answered: ‘Because we’re below for them. Since we give them ago their pride, their self-esteem, and their identities, a place to come every day, a place where they’re no alone, and where other civilization understand what they’re walking through, due to the fact that they’re going through it, too. Since we teach castle what they have to know, and give them hope.’
She practically exploded with the phone in ~ me. ‘THAT’S no WHY THEY appreciate US!’ (Everyone else in the room was looking down at your nails, or staring up at the ceiling…) She walk on to say, ‘THEY evaluate US since WE’RE assumed LEADERS!!’ If she had remained in the room at the time, ns would have barfed on her shoes.
Thought leaders? and also I believed it was due to the fact that we held the heads of drowned people above water…
Alas, like my duke Blue Devils, thought leadership only made it to the elite Eight this year (see the jargon Madness bracket here).
As always: have actually thoughts, it is in a leader, and also many many thanks again for her votes and also comments.
See more: What Does Eli Eli Lama Sabachthani Mean ? “Eli, Eli, Lama Sabachthani
Have proposal for the many annoying business jargon, buzzword, cliché, euphemism or grammar catastrophe? Share castle by posting a comment and we’ll consider adding them to next year’s jargon Madness bracket.