A study found that 2.2 percent that shooting and stabbing patients that arrived in a private car died matches 11.6 who were transported via ambulance
By buy it Calams, lifwynnfoundation.org combine Editor
A study led by john Hopkins medicine observed more than 100,000 shooting and stabbing patients from 2010 to 2012 at almost 300 city U.S. Trauma centers.
You are watching: What does pov mean in medical terms
Their conclusion: shooting and also stabbing victims have actually a better chance of survival if lock use personal vehicles over ambulances for move to a trauma center.
A research that finds trauma patient fare far better when they don"t wait for EMS to arrive sparks uproar, concerns
The study found that 2.2 percent the patients who arrived in a private automobile died versus 11.6 percent of patient who passed away via ambulance transport.
Additionally, statistics for transfer of gunshot victims included:4.5 percent that arrived in a private vehicle died19.3 percent that arrived in one ambulance passed away
For stabbing victims:0.2 percent that arrived in a private automobile died2.9 percent who arrived in an ambulance passed away
The study"s findings led to uproar within the lifwynnfoundation.org community. We asked our on facebook fans around the study"s discoveries; below are your responses.
See more: How Wide Is A Semi Trailer Inside, How Wide Is A Semi
If you haven"t already, add your think in the comment section below.
1. "Waiting because that the scene to be clearing by law enforcement takes time. Medics who don"t load and also go take an ext time. The lifesaving IV can be done en route. Life-threatening gun shots require surgery. I don"t care how countless holes you plug from the outside. PHTLS or ITLS covers this extensively." – Chris Marchese
2. "I expect if there"s a trauma facility down the street, however the closest one to me is 45 minute away with no traffic. Ns seriously doubt that transferring someone over there in mine car, with no medical intervention, would boost their opportunity of survival." – Maureen Mackey Sampson
3. "I am who who made it through a GSW and was transported through ambulance. Together a result, I"m now an EMT-B and also in medic school. Rapid response and skilled treatment will certainly always result in greater survival rates for patients." – Grant Gulden
4. "I"m in an metropolitan area with practically daily shootings. In 99 percent of the cases, the delay in treatment is from waiting for police to secure the scene. It"s typical sense come load and go a GSW victim, and also here we all do. Interventions space done en route and also we have a 10-minute max deliver time to our level 2 trauma center. However we room not going to enter the scene until it is clear per police. I wish the post had taken our safety right into account." – Andrea Byrum
5. "There space a many of determinants that can skew those results. Species of and extent of injuries, etc. The more vital patients, perhaps also the ones that die prior to EMS arriving, room obviously much more likely to be transported by ambulance. In retrospect, the ones who go in through POV are more likely to have actually survivable wounds indigenous the beginning, such together an extreme injury." – Jonathan Hatcher
6. "Ridiculous. EMS have the right to not only assess facility appropriateness (and initiate wait if applicable) manage bleeding, develop a patent airway, stabilize, etc. Yet they likewise alert the incoming facility so the team deserve to be ready to additional take care of the patient. I didn"t even read this totality article. This is an insult to very trained pre-hospital caregivers and also bad info to share with the public." – Kristi Cox
7. "I wonder if the study compared BLS vs. ALS outcomes. Likewise wonder if they controlled for proximity come trauma center. I think world are more likely to usage a personal owned automobile to move if the trauma center is nearby. Ns think the takeaway for those of us in EMS need to be: stop doing IVs top top scene. Load and also go." – Keith Hart
8. "I have a friend who functioned at Maryland Shock Trauma and she speak me she gets much more people through stab wounds or GSW thrown the end of cars climate by ambulance. Trouble according to paramedics she speak to is many areas are also dangerous to enter because of guns and not sufficient police support in a fashionable manner. Study has actually lots of flaws and also needs to answer a the majority of questions." – Geoffrey Taylor
9. "I carry out not favor private cars acquisition these victim to hospital, can cause more damage, excess bleeding, wherein to put pressure and also what come use, hospital not expecting this trauma, and if the person dies or has actually a life-threatening injury native transporting, there space a lot of negative things here. A driver can get sue or worse if miscellaneous happens, simply let the EMS carry out their job." – Charlotte Perry
10. "Yeah, because every trauma is the same, right? So, once they compare stab wounds, they room all in the specific same spot and also gunshots space the exact same caliber at the same selection in the precise location. Lock can"t obtain a an excellent statistic turn off of this, due to the fact that no one trauma is the same. Doesn"t matter if through ambulance or POV, every outcome will certainly be different." –Brandon Stott