assignments -->unit 3 component 2 --> metals
assignments -->unit 3 part 2 --> non-metals
assignments -->unit 3 part 2 --> metalloids
COMPUTERS--practice till 100%
WITHOUT computers--write questions and answers
Introduces properties of the largest team of elements.
You are watching: How are metals and nonmetals alike
· identify the metals course ofelements.
· describe properties the metals.
· explain why steels are great conductors of electricity.
When friend think that metals, carry out you think of hard objects such together iron nails and gold jewelry? If so, it could surprise you to discover that the glowing liquid putting out the the pipette in the photo over is likewise a metal. It’s dubbed mercury, and it’s the only metal that generally exists on planet as a liquid. Simply what space metals, and what room their properties? check out on to uncover out.
What are Metals?
Metalsareelementsthat have the right to conduct electricity. They are among three class of aspects (the various other two class arenonmetalsandmetalloids). Metals are by far the biggest of the 3 classes. In fact, most elements are metals. All of the aspects on the left side and in the middle of the regular table, other than for hydrogen, room metals. Over there are numerous different varieties of metals, including alkali steels in group 1 that the periodic table,alkaline earth metalsin team 2, andtransition metalsin teams 3–12. The bulk of steels are shift metals.
Properties of Metals
Elementsin the same class share certain basic similarities. In enhancement to conducting electricity, plenty of metals have actually several other shared properties, consisting of those provided below. You have the right to dig deeper right into the nature of steels at this URL:http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/add_gateway_pre_2011/periodictable/metalsrev1.shtml.
· steels have reasonably highmeltingpoints. This defines why all metals except for mercury aresolidsat roomtemperature.
· Most metals are an excellent conductors ofheat. That’s why metals such together iron, copper, and aluminum are offered for pots and also pans.
· steels are typically shiny. This is due to the fact that they reflect much of the light that strikes them. The mercury pictured above is an extremely shiny.
· The bulk of steels are ductile. This method that they can be pulled right into long, thin shapes, choose the aluminum electric wires pictured in theFigurebelow.
· metals tend to it is in malleable. This way that they have the right to be created into slim sheets there is no breaking. An example is aluminum foil, also pictured in theFigurebelow.
Q:The specifying characteristic of metals is their ability to command electricity. Why do you think metals have this property?
A:The nature of metals—as well together of aspects in the various other classes—depend largely on the number and arrangement of theirelectrons.
Explaining the nature of Metals
To recognize why metals have the right to conduct electricity, consider the metal lithium together an example. One atom the lithium is modeled below. Look in ~ lithium’selectrons. There room two electrons at the firstenergy level. This power level have the right to hold only two electrons, so that is complete in lithium. The second energy level is one more story. It can hold a maximum of eight electrons, however in lithium it has actually just one. A complete outer energy level is the most stable setup of electrons. Lithium would need to acquire seven electrons to to fill its outer energy level and also make the stable. It’s far less complicated for lithium to give up the one electron in power level 2, leaving it with a complete outer energy level (now level 1). Electrical energy is a flow of electrons. Since lithium (like most other metals) easily gives up its “extra” electron, it is a great conductor the electricity. This tendency to offer up electrons also explains other properties of metals such together lithium.
· steels are aspects that can conduct electricity. Most facets are metals.
· all metals except for mercury aresolidsat roomtemperature. Plenty of metals space shiny, ductile, and malleable. Many are also great conductors ofheat.
· electrical energy is a circulation ofelectrons.Atomsof steels tend to provide up electrons, explaining why lock are an excellent conductors that electricity. The tendency to give up electrons likewise explains countless of the other properties of metals.
At the adhering to URL, click on any type of one of the steels in the interactive routine table. Read the information provided about your selection of metal, and then make a poster demonstrating its structures, properties, and uses.
1. What room metals?
2. List numerous properties of metals.
3. Explain why metals deserve to conduct electricity
Introduces properties of the 2nd largest team of elements.
· identify the nonmetals course ofelements.
· perform properties the nonmetals.
· explain why nonmetals differ in your reactivity and cannot conduct electricity.
The three puresubstancespictured above have the distinction of being among the peak tenelementsthat make up the person body. All 3 of castle belong come the course of elements called nonmetals. Many of the elements that comprise the human body—as well together the bulk of other living things—are nonmetals. In fact, seven of the height ten aspects in your own body belong come this class of elements. What perform you know about nonmetals? What space their properties, and also how space they various from various other elements? In this article, you’ll find out.
What room Nonmetals?
Nonmetalsareelementsthat normally do no conduct electricity. Castle are one of three great of elements (the various other two classes aremetalsandmetalloids.) Nonmetals are the 2nd largest of the 3 classes ~ metals. They room the aspects located top top the ideal side that the periodic table.
Q:From left to right throughout each duration (row) that the routine table, each facet hasatomswith one an ext proton and also one an ext electron than the aspect before it. How might this be concerned the properties of nonmetals?
A:Because nonmetals are on the best side the the periodic table, they have actually moreelectronsin their outerenergy levelthan elements on the left next or in the middle of the routine table. The variety of electrons in the outer power level of one atom determines many of that properties.
Properties of Nonmetals
As their surname suggests, nonmetals generally have properties that are really different from the properties ofmetals. Nature of nonmetals include a relatively lowboilingpoint, which explains why many of castle aregasesat roomtemperature. However, some nonmetals aresolidsat room temperature, including the 3 pictured above, and also one nonmetal—bromine—is a fluid at room temperature. Various other properties the nonmetals are illustrated and described in theTablebelow.
Most nonmetals are negative conductors ofheat. In fact, they room such bad conductors of warmth that castle are frequently used for insulation. Because that example, the down filling in this sleeping bag is full of air, which is composed primarily the the nonmetalgasesoxygen and nitrogen. This gases avoid body heat from escaping to the cold exterior air.
Solid nonmetals are normally dull and also brittle like these pieces of iodine. Like other nonmetals, iodine lacks the luster ofmetalsand will conveniently crack and also crumble.
Reactivity of Nonmetals
Reactivity is just how likely an element is to reaction chemically with other elements. Some nonmetals are very reactive, whereas rather are totally nonreactive. What explains this sports in nonmetals? The price is their variety of valenceelectrons. These are the electrons in the outerenergy levelof an atom that are involved in interactions through otheratoms. Let’s look at two instances of nonmetals, fluorine and also neon. Straightforward atomic models of these two facets are displayed in theFigurebelow.
Q:Which element, fluorine or neon, carry out you guess is much more reactive?
A:Fluorine is much more reactive 보다 neon. That’s due to the fact that it has actually seven that eight possibleelectronsin the outerenergy level, conversely, neon currently has eight electron in this energy level.
Although neon has actually just one much more electron 보다 fluorine in the outer energy level, the one electron makes a substantial difference. Fluorine requirements one much more electron to fill its outer power level in stimulate to have the many stable setup of electrons. Therefore, fluorine conveniently accepts an electron from any kind of element that is same “eager” to give one up, such as the metal lithium or sodium. Together a result, fluorine is extremely reactive. In fact, reactions through fluorine are regularly explosive, together you deserve to see in the URL below. Neon, top top the various other hand, already has a full outer power level. The is already really stable and also never reaction with various other elements. It no accepts nor provides up electrons. Neon doesn’t also react with fluorine, i beg your pardon reacts with all other facets except helium.
Why most Nonmetals can not Conduct Electricity
Like many other nonmetals, fluorine cannot conduct electricity, and its electrons describe this as well. Anelectric currentis a flow of electrons. Aspects that readily offer up electron (the metals) can carry electric current due to the fact that their electrons can flow freely. Aspects that obtain electrons rather of offering them increase cannot carry electric current. They organize onto their electrons therefore they cannot flow.
· Nonmetals are aspects that normally cannot conduct electricity. They are the second largest class of facets after metals. Examples of nonmetals incorporate hydrogen, carbon, chlorine, and helium.
· nature of nonmetals incorporate a fairly lowboilingpoint, so many nonmetals aregases. Nonmetals are also poor conductors ofheat, and also solid nonmetals room dull and brittle.
· some nonmetals are an extremely reactive, whereas others space not reactive in ~ all. It relies on the number of electrons in your outer energy level.
· Reactive nonmetals have tendency to get electrons. This describes why they can not conduct electricity, which is a flow of electrons.
Watch the video about nonmetals at the following URL, and also then prize the questions below.
1. The scientific research teacher in the video does one experiment in which he tests the reactivity of 4 nonmetal gases. Exactly how does he check them?
2. What is the outcome of the experiment?
3. Based on this outcome, what conclusion deserve to you draw?
4. Why do the gases differ in reactivity?
1. What are nonmetals?
2. Perform properties that nonmetals.
3. Define why nonmetals differ in your reactivity.
4. Carbon can not conduct electricity. Why not?
Introduces properties of the smallest group of elements.
· determine the metalloids course ofelements.
· perform physical nature of metalloids.
· describe why some metalloids react likemetalsand rather react choose nonmetals.
What is this detailed orb? the is the greatly intensified skeleton that single-celled ocean organisms speak to radiolarian. The skeleton is make of an element that is extremely usual on Earth. In fact, the is the second most abundant element in Earth’s crust. The is additionally one the the many commonelementsin the entireuniverse. What is this vital element? Its surname is silicon, and also it belongs come a course of aspects called metalloids.
What room Metalloids
Metalloidsare the smallest class ofelements. (The various other two class of elements aremetalsand nonmetals). Over there are simply six metalloids. In enhancement to silicon, they incorporate boron, germanium, arsenic, antimony, and tellurium. Metalloids fall between metals and also nonmetals in the routine table. They likewise fall between metals and nonmetals in terms of their properties.
Q:How does the position of an aspect in the routine table influence its properties?
A:Elements room arranged in the periodic table by theiratomic number, which is the number ofprotonsin theiratoms. Atoms space neutral in electric charge, so they constantly have the exact same number ofelectronsas protons. It is the number of electrons in the outerenergy levelof atoms that determines many of the nature of elements.
Chemical nature of Metalloids
How metalloids act in chemistry interactions with other aspects depends greatly on the number ofelectronsin the outerenergy levelof theiratoms. Metalloids have actually from three to 6 electrons in your outer energy level. Boron, pictured in theFigurebelow, is the only metalloid with just threeelectronsin that outerenergy level. It has tendency to plot likemetalsby providing up its electron inchemical reactions. Metalloids with more than four electrons in your outer energy level (arsenic, antimony, and tellurium) tend to act choose nonmetals by gaining electrons in chemical reactions. Those with exactly four electrons in their outer energy level (silicon and germanium) might act prefer either steels or nonmetals, depending upon the other elements in the reaction.
Physical properties of Metalloids
Most metalloids have some physical properties the metals and also some physics properties the nonmetals. For example, metals are an excellent conductors of bothheatand electricity, conversely, nonmetals usually cannot conduct heat or electricity. And also metalloids? lock fall in between metals and also nonmetals in their capability to conduct heat, and if they have the right to conduct electricity, lock usually can do so just at higher temperatures. Metalloids that have the right to conduct electrical power at higher temperatures are dubbed semiconductors. Silicon is an instance of a semiconductor. That is provided to make the tinyelectric circuitsin computer system chips. You have the right to see a sample that silicon and also a silicon chip in theFigurebelow.
Metalloids often tend to it is in shiny choose metals however brittle prefer nonmetals. Because they space brittle, they might chip like glass or crumble come a flour if struck. Other physical properties of metalloids are much more variable, including theirboilingandmeltingpoints, although all metalloids exist assolidsat roomtemperature. You can learn around the properties of certain metalloids by city hall the video at this URL:
· Metalloids space the smallest course of elements, containing simply six elements. Lock fall in between metals and also nonmetals in the regular table.
· just how metalloids act in chemical interactions v other elements depends mainly on the variety of electrons in the outer power level of theiratoms. Metalloids might act either like metals or nonmetals inchemical reactions.
· many metalloids have some physics properties the metals and some physical properties the nonmetals. They fall between metals and nonmetals in their capacity to conductheatand electricity. They are shiny like metals however brittle choose nonmetals. Every exist assolidsat roomtemperature.
See more: How Do You Say Hello In Norwegian Phrases, Norwegian Phrases You Need To Know
Because metalloids are similar in some methods to metals and also in other methods to nonmetals, to recognize metalloids you should know around these various other two class of elements. Watch the following video on class of elements. Then, using info from the video, make a table comparing and contrasting metals, nonmetals, and also metalloids.