You are watching: How many zeros in 7 billion
The worldwide population is supposed to reach 7 exchange rate Monday – just 12 year after hitting 6 exchange rate – and the milestone has many pondering the complicated challenges associated with billions an ext people on earth in the coming years.
some are also pondering miscellaneous else: simply how large is 7 billion really?
that a number that’s basic to underestimate.
top top the surface, it no look much different than 6 billion, either in written form or numeric form. There space nine zeros in 6,000,000,000, just like there are nine zeros in 7,000,000,000. But if girlfriend counted every number in between them, it would take an ext than 30 years. Yes, three decades.
World's populace reaches 7 billion
udas civilizations biggest family_00002411
accomplish the world's biggest household
clancy seven billion people_00000701
soon to be 7 billion human being on planet
Why is worldwide population spiking? _00003302
See more: John Deere 3020 Engine For Sale, John Deere 3020 Tractors For Sale New & Used
Why is global population spiking?
and when was the critical time you provided 7 exchange rate in day-to-day life? have you ever eaten 7 billion of something? have you ever before owned 7 exchange rate of anything? early on this year, there were only 140 human being in the civilization who were worth $7 billion, according to Forbes magazine.
“The number is just external of ours usual everyday scale the thinking,” said Klaus Volpert, an combine professor of mathematics at Villanova University. “We count to 10 on ours fingers and also that’s our scale, girlfriend know? also counting come a million is already kind of exterior of the daily experience. And also then when you go past a million, it becomes a blur.”
right here are some various ways that might assist you envision the enormousness of 7 billion:
– 7 billion seconds ago, the year was 1789. The was the year George Washington to be inaugurated together the first U.S. President and Congress met for the very very first time.
– If you take it 7 billion measures along the earth’s equator – at 2 feet per step – you could walk around the world at least 106 times.
– mean an typical thimble hold 2 milliliters of water. 7 billion the those thimbles would certainly fill in ~ least 5 Olympic-sized swim pools.
– stop say the average human being is about 5 feet tall, audit for children. If you ridge those 7 billion civilization end come end, they would reach about 1/14th that the way to the sun – or 27 times the street to the moon, Volpert said.
– seven billion ants, in ~ an median size of 3 milligrams each, would certainly weigh at least 23 lots (46,297 pounds).
“Our mind just staggers,” Volpert said, once thinking about how huge 7 billion really is. He said there’s a comparable feeling once trying to grasp ultra-tiny dimensions or other as huge as external space.
“Every once in a while as soon as we look up in ~ the stars, we acquire a glimpse of the range that’s beyond the human being scale, and it’s fascinating and great,” that said.
populace experts space hoping that much more people start to understand the 7 billion ide soon, since the number has actually skyrocketed in current years and the case is becoming more urgent. (See populations country-by-country)
The civilization didn’t reach 1 billion occupants until 1800, follow to the population Reference Bureau, and it got to 2 billion in 1930. However with developments in contemporary medicine, it took only 30 more years to with 3 billion, 14 year to with 4 billion, 13 year to with 5 billion and also 12 years to reach both 6 billion and also 7 billion.
The U.N. Has approximated a population of 9.3 billion by 2050, and there is intended to be an ext than 10 billion civilization on earth by 2100.
“We’re acquiring into more and an ext trouble the enlarge the number gets,” stated John Bongaarts, vice president of the populace Council, an global nonprofit group. “Every billion people we add makes life more complicated for anyone that’s already here.”